We have all been there. Little-to-no money, and surrounded by those who have their lives together. Perhaps your parents are coming up and you do not want to be dragged home because ‘you can not look after yourself’.
Here is a cheat sheet to seem classy af; flabbergasting your auntie and impressing your new posh mates, whilst never spending more than a tenner.
This *recipe* is for a fancy cheese toastie. I used vegan cheese and normal bread, but you can switch that up as needs must.
- And of course cheese!
- Turn on your grill / toastie maker / turn your toaster on its side
- Grate the cheese and put half on the first slice of bread
- Slice: 3x mushrooms, 1x chilli, 2x tomatoes, and a couple basil leaves.
- Lightly fry both the mushrooms and the chilli; just enough to add colour.
- Top your cheesey slice with the mushrooms and chilli, and then add some more cheese, just enough to cover the mushrooms and chilli.
- Layer the tomatoes and half of the basil leaves, and add the rest of the cheese.
- Top with the rest of the basil and add the second slice of bread.
- Place on the grill / toastie maker for 3-5 minutes, until golden brown.
- If you are using a sideways toaster, make sure the filling is not too close to the sides.
- If you want to show off, throw a little pepper and 2x basil leaves on top
- Present, and wait for the compliments!